X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **New Enquiry** | USB3 Hard drive dock cable

Quickcode: 60768

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Stora...roductId=60768

Had this today, product works fine but I would like a longer cable, I looked up USB3 cables but what I found had a bigger connector then what I have and the only other one is a 'micro USB' which I believe is too small (like a phone USB)

EDIT: My cable..

Cable 1 - Too big
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Cable...roductId=50608

Cable 2 - Too small
    http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/...roductId=50609
    Last edited by Qlimax; 08-07-14, 14:27.

You need a usb 3.0 a to mini b i don't think aria stock them but im sure if you give sales a ring they will be able to source you one

Comment

Out of interest, what USB3 kit do you have that use a Mini USB connector?

All I have seen is micro USB and that USB 3.0 A to B.

Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
      Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
        Out of interest, what USB3 kit do you have that use a Mini USB connector?

All I have seen is micro USB and that USB 3.0 A to B.
        This...

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Stora...roductId=60768

Comment

Ah, I have a couple of USB2 versions of those.

I'm surprised that that socket can handle USB3. You learn something new every day.

All of the USB3 things I have use the two connectors you linked to in your first message.
          Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
          Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
          Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

well if the micro can handle USB3 then why not the MINI

Comment

Originally posted by Qlimax View Post
              well if the micro can handle USB3 then why not the MINI
              The micro USB3 is not the same as the micro USB2.

versus

Or is the extra bit on the USB3 purely for power?

Comment

Moore power!!!
                Bit like SATA.
                I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                Dave Burnett

Comment

That's what I wondered. Good to have it confirmed.

Is that the samne for the USB 3.0 A to B? Another plug in two sections.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                    The micro USB3 is not the same as the micro USB2.

versus

Or is the extra bit on the USB3 purely for power?
                    That's odd as I also have a USB3 Micro cable which is the same size as the USB2 Standard cable

As for power the dock comes with a mains adapter which I guess would give that extra power that the sata needs?

Comment

Originally posted by Qlimax View Post
                      As for power the dock comes with a mains adapter which I guess would give that extra power that the sata needs?
                      That's my assumption.

Comment

simplest and cheapest option, use the cable it came with and add a usb3 extension cable to it

Only extension cable I can find in the shop is this one, only usb2.0
                        https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Cabl...roductId=41397

DT.
                        Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                        Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
                          simplest and cheapest option, use the cable it came with and add a usb3 extension cable to it
                          That's what I have. This is also a convenient way of plugging things into the back of the PC without having to scramble around.

But as in other product areas, think network hardware, Aria has a limited catalogue.

You can get them for a few quid from one of the usual suspects.

Comment

I have ordered a 2m extension cable (USB3) elsewhere, It would have been nice to have a spare cable of this exact type in case mine breaks like this one...

Comment

those usb3 to "old" mini and micro connectors, usually associtated with usb2 are a bastardisation by industry, for products that don't need the extra power abilities available by the "proper" usb3 plugs, but want a connector that lasts more than 5 minutes and is not useless
                              Last edited by DoubleTop; 15-07-14, 20:36. Reason: shiit removal

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
                              - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

Working...
                              X