Mushkin 60 GB SSD installation and advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushkin 60 GB SSD installation and advice

Just bought the Mushkin 60 GB SSD and can't wait to try it out.

Since there was no instructions supplied, I just have a few queries. Any hints or tips setting this up would be appreciated. There was a massive thread on how to install another SSD (OCZ) which also has the Sandforce controller, and I'm not sure how much of that applies to the Mushkin. In any case, there was so much info so I'd like to condense that somewhat!

But firstly, I should state what I have and what I'm going to do.
    Approx. 2yr old motherboard (ASUS P5QL Pro)
    4 GB ram, Intel quadcore CPU
    Nvidia graphics card

I have also just bought Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), so I will be installing that, fresh, on the Mushkin SSD.

Questions:

1: How vital is it that I update the motherboard's BIOS before I install Win 7 on the SSD? Can't I leave that as a troubleshooting stage if I have difficulty?

2: Mushkin also have firmware that I need to update the 60 GB. The packaging didn't say this, but I assume I'm going to need to use it. Do I do this before I install Win 7, or afterwards? And if afterwards, do I install all the drivers for the graphics card etc. first?

3: How do I handle the pagefile? I have this confusing quote from the previous URL (see here ):

60-62.
    Page/Swap File Sizing and Placement

3 options available.. Let the OS manage it, Turn it Off, Manage it yourself.
    Initially, let your OS manage it.. then after some monitoring, manage it yourself.

In Windows, turning it off does not mean it will never create one.
    If it needs to, Windows will create a temporary one of it's own choosing.
    Moving it to slower storage will result in it's functions being slower.
    In Win 7 put it on your SSD.
    Most Win 7 operations are reads, most writes being sequential.
    These are underpinning arguments to eventually manage the Page File.
    Don't let it manage your install.
    Does that mean I need to do anything? What does it mean for me to 'manage' the pagefile? And what do they mean by "Don't let it manage your install"?

4: Discussion of chipsets from another confusing quote:

Windows OS
    Before you install Windows on your SSD you need to consider the following:

Does my platform support IDE mode as well as AHCI?
    Does it have the newest firmware installed?
    For which SATA/Chipset drivers are best to use with your SSD:
    Intel 35/45/55/58 Chipsets.. use latest Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers.
    AMD 700/800 Chipsets.. use built-in OS drivers to start with.
    Nividia/Nforce.. use built-in OS drivers to start with.
    All I know is that I install the graphics card (and motherboard?) drivers when I install an OS from fresh. So I'm not sure what it means by those Intel chipsets, RST and SATA/Chipset drivers, and what all that has to do with a storage device such as the SSD.

5: Other considerations. Also recommended from that URL was to:

a: disable Drive Indexing (see 70.)
    b: leave about 20% unformatted (confirmation on this is apparently found here)
    c: have only 1 drive in initially when installing Win 7 to prevent the chance of bits of Win 7 installing on the second HD (it's okay afterwards to put the 2nd HD back) - (see 21.)
    d: "Consider a cold clear of CMOS" - Would that apply to most or me? (see 19.)
    e: Don't Tweak your OS straight after installing.
    f: Don't run too many Benchmarks
    g: Should one run WEI after install of Win 7 and drivers?

Any help on the above 5 topics would be gratefully appreciated!

Just plug it in and enjoy it.

Have your BIOS set to ACHI mode though.
    Firmware updates may have to be done via a boot up disc druing POSt or in Windows, it depends on your drive. Turn hibernation and indexing off - unless of course you use hibernation.
    Format to its full capacity, your drive uses a Sandforce controller so write amplification is fairly small - not to mention all the doom and gloom surrounding SSD lifecycles is foobar TBH.

Edit: The whole thing about having two drives in ruining install is rubbish - just make sure you have or select your Windows disc as first boot device. You shouldn't need to clear the CMOS either - i never had.

windows should optimise itself for SSD use as well.

Move your pagefile to your HDD.

Comment

1. Bios can be left, generally you only want to update bios for troubleshooting.

2. Firmware all depends on the update, some updates require a drive reformat, others not.

3. Up to you, for performace I would put it on the SDD. If you are worried about wearing out the SSD (I'm dubious if it will really make a huge difference) then put it on a HDD.

4. I have read people on this forum recommending a switch to AHCI after you have installed OS.

5. a yes, b no, c yes, d no, e no, f no.

Comment

Originally posted by alexnifty View Post

4. I have read people on this forum recommending a switch to AHCI after you have installed OS.
        AFAIK without a lot of messing about switching from IDE to ACHI (and vice versa) doesn't let Windows boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
          AFAIK without a lot of messing about switching from IDE to ACHI (and vice versa) doesn't let Windows boot.
          Yeah I'm not too clear on what the best thing to do is with that one. I was hoping whoever it was that posted about the whole AHCI thing might shed some light on it.

Comment

Thanks guys - maybe this is simpler than I think. I might do the SSD firmware update straight after I install Windows 7 Pro. Hopefully, I won't have to reinstall Win 7 again.

Have your BIOS set to ACHI mode though.
            Is this under the option: "Configure SATA as" in this image (found in that massive thread). Because they instead recommend selecting "IDE" as you may know.

If I have the pagefile on the SSD (love to really because of the speed), maybe then it would be worth losing 5-10 GB off a full format for the drive just in case?

Comment

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
              it does if you manually force install of the driver for ACHI while in IDE mode. I did this once and it was a right old cerfuffle. Best to enable before install.
              My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

Originally posted by twinbee View Post
                Thanks guys - maybe this is simpler than I think. I might do the SSD firmware update straight after I install Windows 7 Pro. Hopefully, I won't have to reinstall Win 7 again.

Is this under the option: "Configure SATA as" in this image (found in that massive thread). Because they instead recommend selecting "IDE" as you may know.

If I have the pagefile on the SSD (love to really because of the speed), maybe then it would be worth losing 5-10 GB off a full format for the drive just in case?
                Yes. Why they're suggesting IDE I'm not too sure - maybe its to increase compatibility but I can't see that being a problem. Still go for ACHI i say.

Comment

Using IDE mode makes baby Jesus cry.
                  i5 760 @ 4.01GHz, 4GB DDR3, Sapphire 6870, Soundblaster X-Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Gav View Post
                    Using IDE mode makes baby Jesus cry.

Comment

Working...
                    X