MOBO with TPM chip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOBO with TPM chip

Hi all at Aria can you tell me whether you stock chips that have TMP chips on them please!

Not that I can see. I don't think these ever really took off on retail motherboards, they're generally found on OEM kit, if anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
      Not that I can see. I don't think these ever really took off on retail motherboards, they're generally found on OEM kit, if anywhere.

So basically what your saying is that you can only get them with mobo's that come with fully built PC's?

Comment

Originally posted by Diaby Does Gallas View Post
        So basically what your saying is that you can only get them with mobo's that come with fully built PC's?
        Well, after a bit of research I can find very few systems or boards with TPM chips. IBM / Lenovo thinkpads, some apple hardware, a few netbooks. A small range of Gigabyte motherboards from a few years back, and a small range of ASUS motherboards from around the same time (2007/2008) - none of which we seem to stock.

What do you need one for? Bitlocker or something?

Comment

Yeah bitlocker, I have seen one on a top end Asus mobo that cost just short of 200, but that is a bit out of my price range.

Comment

I think you're going to find that your choices are very limited, unless you get lucky second hand or something.

Can't you use bitlocker with a USB stick as a 'key' somehow instead of needing an onboard TPM chip?

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
              I think you're going to find that your choices are very limited, unless you get lucky second hand or something.

Can't you use bitlocker with a USB stick as a 'key' somehow instead of needing an onboard TPM chip?

You can lock HDD's but you if you want to run back up while your away then they will not work as you need to unlock the drive. The actual C drive can't be locked as it needs a chip to lock the drive with and you can't lock that drive with a USB stick.

Here is the Asus mobo I was talking about:

http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID...0Vp&templete=2

Comment

Yeah that was one of the ones I turned up. Based on the 'Workstation' branding I'd say they were aimed at CAD systems and such (ie very high spec business PCs), that seems to be where the term is used nowadays.

There's a page here with a list of other Asus motherboards which seem to have TPM chips:

http://support.asus.com/faq/asus-faq...language=en-us

That might help you turn up something a little less pricey.

Comment

Nice one for that, will check them out when I get a minute later

Comment

Quite a few motherboards do have support for a tpm module (I know moth my MSI boards do have Skt 775btw)

MSI sell the module seperately...
                    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Yeah I believe that some ASUS boards have headers for the chip, but the posts I read suggested that they weren't selling the module as a retail accessory, though that could be out of date.

Comment

perhaps this is where the Asus and MSI forum members could help
                        I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
                          perhaps this is where the Asus and MSI forum members could help
                          Could you give me the name of your mobo so I can price it up if you don't mind.

Comment

Mines a P45 Platinum.

but it seems most MSI boards have the headers:-

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...=&prod_no=1846

and

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=pro...=&prod_no=2144

Which Aria stocks

Although I am not sure where you will buy a TPM in the OK

Comment

Working...
                            X