product question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• product question

I guess this is the right place to post, I need something that'll allow me to plug in an IDE hard drive in to an sata port and I'm pretty sure this is what I need Serial ATA to IDE Converter But I have a question about it, if anyone's got or used one before; Does this just slot in to the back of the hard drive then allowing me to plug it in to the sata port, or does it need to be plugged in to anything else in the mother board?

Thanks

Hello matey! Welcome to our humble forum...

The IDE-SATA convertor will need power (usually a floppy power connector) and will just plug into your SATA interface on your MoBo.

So you'll have power into the HDD, power into the convertor and a data cable from the convertor - you shouldn't need anything else at all!
    "As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from desiccation."
    Humphrey Lyttelton 1921 - 2008

Comment

Ah thanks very much for replying, that leaves me with a bit of a problem though.

I got a new mobo, only has one ata port on it, so I can only use one ribbon cable, the thing is, I need to power 3 hard drives and a cd drive, my plan was to get the converter on the hard drives and then use the ribbon cable for my cd drives, but if it's going to use the floppy drive slot for power, that means I can only use one of these converters at a time, anyway I can use three? Or any other ideas?

Thanks

Comment

I think you can get splitters to give multiple power connectors - can't see them on Aria's website though...

Maybe the IDE->SATA convertors come with them???
        "As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from desiccation."
        Humphrey Lyttelton 1921 - 2008

Comment

This device has pass throughs for data and power connectors, but it doesnt come with any SATA cables so guess what you'd need is the converter and a sata cable, it looks like this product uses a ribbon cable to plug into the HDD, uses a floppy power connector as Sl4x0r said

similar photo
          www.paulclegg.me

Comment

Working...
          X