Bring back custom bulds!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back custom bulds!

Unless I'm blind you no longer appear to be making custom PCs. As a lazy person with a bf who is in desperate need of a new PC, I'm rather annoyed!

I agree, i thought the old custom PC builder thing was a great idea...

Would be handy just to have a little component selector thing, where you select a motherboard, and it shows you all the components on the site that are compatible, the right type of memory and such... couple it with a recommended PSU wattage for the amount of components selected would be simply amazing.
    Si vis Pacem, Para bellum...

Comment

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

I just hate building PCs - I can pick components happily enough, just hate physically building them (as I've ranted elsewhere)

Just a \"click here to have us build your pc\" for £zyz option would be wonderful

Comment

Re:

[quote:fae8daf454=\"PrivatePyle@Work\"]I would have thought it quite tricky to automate that process with code on the website Dwarf. And time consuming. If I were the retailer, I would say something like \"Ring our dedicated sales team, they'd be glad to offer their advice bla bla bla...\"

Plus, Aria have the wealth of... no, no, the plethora of knowledge on offer here to direct people to! PFFFFFFFTTTT![/quote:fae8daf454]

I wouldn't imagine so, aslong as you have the technical details from the manufacturer, and its all in a database.... you have a list of keywords of the features that motherboard supports for each \"component\" ... as in the database entry for Memory for the motherboard, you would have DDR2 ... then doing a lookup for all memory components that have a database entry stating they are DDR2 ... simple in theory... multiple keywords for an entry if they support more than one type... gets more complicated with numbers of slots... for example... a motherboard that supports multiple sata, but with one IDE slot or something, would have to list all SATA and IDE drives, but remembers how many of each slot you've selected, and stops showing those drives as a result.

The wattage thing, would need to have the power consumption data for each component, totalling it up, and calculating how much power it all will need, this would depend if the manufacturer specifies that info.

EDIT: i guess it gets more complicated when you enter the realms of how many molex connectors the PSU has to power all the drives... and how many drives the selected case can fit comfortably... and even if you do select the maximum amount of drives... that'd be a fair bit of heat, needing additional cooling surely? So yeah... i guess it would end up rather complicated if you wanted it to cover things in depth...

Plus, theres the different sizes of graphics cards and such... if they have large heatsinks/fan/exhaust stuff on the cards causing it to take up more than one slot... length of it getting in the way of parts of the motherboard etc...

Ok ok, i guess you couldn't have it take everything into consideration...
          Si vis Pacem, Para bellum...

Comment

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

Didn't custom builds go when the new website went live?

Maybe it's just a feture that's being worked on...
              The old one did let you choose a socket A CPU to go with a 775 MoBo though...
              "As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the soul from desiccation."
              Humphrey Lyttelton 1921 - 2008

Comment

I believe it's going to back back soon - the first version will just be similar to the one that we used to have on the old website - but we also have plans for a much better one which will only let you pick compatible items... but that will not be ready for a little while yet.
                The Server is Down! Quick! I need a roll of duct tape, 3 wads of chewed gum, a paperclip and a plastic fork!

Comment

Re:

[quote:336967119d=\"JMFD\"]I just hate building PCs - I can pick components happily enough, just hate physically building them (as I've ranted elsewhere)

Just a \"click here to have us build your pc\" for £zyz option would be wonderful [/quote:336967119d]

I prefer building the PC's rather then the final product ops:

Originally posted by Aria
                  On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

The new system builder will be ready very soon.
                    It will work similar to the way Dell does it. That means we will offer you templates of systems that consists of components you can combine without worrying that they will be incompatible.

Step by step we will offer you more templates so you can easily choose what type of system you like to build and start with a template that fits your needs.

I will keep you updated!
                    Alex

Comment

Hi,
                      Our first template is now live. GAMER1 it is called and you can build a nice gaming computer out of the components we suggest!

Have a look and let me know what you think. More templates will follow very soon.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Syste...builder/GAMER1

Comment

I think thats cool !

Like how the Price scrolls down the screen with you.

Also might be good if you add a little symbol on each section where you can pull up all the products for that category (Minimize/Maximize) if you know what i mean.

Comment

Re:

[quote:0b23324278=\"Alex\"]Hi,
                          Our first template is now live. GAMER1 it is called and you can build a nice gaming computer out of the components we suggest!

Have a look and let me know what you think. More templates will follow very soon.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Syste...builder/GAMER1[/quote:0b23324278]

Thats a great idea, though it would be even better if it had some kind of warning built in, i mean i ran through it and changed the spec to Quad core 6600 and an 8800gtx and left the original 420w psu in, now i seriously doubt that psu would last very long with those components. I would question whether it even has enough power connectors for the 8800gtx. So a \"warning\" to say \"PSU needs upgrading to run this....\" might be useful.
                          Laptop: i7-3610QM~16GB~GT635M
                          Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
                          Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

That is true.
                            We will add more information to the categories to make sure people choose the right components.

Comment

Working...
                            X