Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladiator Anarchy GTX P67 won't boot and keeps restarting

Hello all.

Just under two years ago I bought a Gladiator Anarchy GTX P67 Gaming PC. A couple of months ago it just died (no power at all) and so after checking the PSU it turned out to be the motherboard which I sent back (as it was still under hardware warranty) and they sent it back.
    Once I put the motherboard back in I had power again but the system wouldn't boot the operating system (Windows 7 Home) and wouldn't boot from the dvd drive. Eventually I managed to get it to work in safe mode and after attempting repairs etc I decided to simply reinstall it.
    I erased and formatted the HD and tried to reinstall the OS (a process I had to start in safe mode) and once the initial phase is done and the installer restarts the PC the same problem returns, it reaches the “loading windows” screen and then restarts just before the OS starts.
    As I said it won't even boot from dvd (it restarts just as if I was trying to boot from HD) unless it's in safe mode. I tried using Kaspersky rescue 10 from dvd and restarts once an option is chosen (graphic or text mode) yet strangely it will run the portable version of windows XP from Hirens boot disk.

I've tried all sorts of things...
    Replaced the RAM.
    Replaced the CPU.
    Replaced the HD.
    Tried a different Windows install disk.
    Replaced the graphic card.
    Replaced the power supply.
    Removed the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS.
    Updated the BIOS version (it was already on version F9) and copied the changes to the backup.
    Tried using command prompt in safe mode to disable the graphic card using device manager.
    Tried using optimised and fail-safe defaults for the BIOS.
    Ran RAM and CPU stress tests and checks, HD checks, none of which reveal any problems.

The problem persists, and the only thing I haven't replaced is the motherboard, so I thought I had probably isolated the problem and sent it back, after about a month and a half I finally find out that GIGABYTE have claimed the board is fine.

This problem has been driving me mad, its not like the system wont run any OS at all as it runs mini XP from a disk without a problem, and it works in safe mode, yet it wont boot from disk or HD. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    I have a very vague memory of a restart problem before and it being a BIOS settings issue, but I can't remember for sure.

Here is my system specs.

• Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i5-2500K Processor
    • MSI GeForce® GTX 460 Cyclone Overclocked Edition 1024MB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    • 4GB Mushkin (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 Silverline - 996768
    • 1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
    • Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
    • Corsair Builder Series 600CX Power Supply
    • Antec 300 Midi Tower ATX Chassis
    • Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler
    • Sony 24x DVD/RW
    • Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Features:
    • Intel® P67 Chipset
    • 4GB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3
    • 1000GB SATA II Hard Drive
    • DirectX 11 via the installed GeForce GTX 460
    • Video Outputs: 2x DVI, 1x Mini-HDMI
    • 1024MB GDDR5 GPU Memory
    • NVIDIA PhysX Technology
    • NVIDIA CUDA Technology
    • NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Ready
    • OpenGL 3.2 Optimization and Support
    • OpenCL Support
    • HDMI 1.3a Support
    • NVIDIA PureVideo HD Technology
    • Dual-link HDCP Capable
    • 2x USB 3.0 Ports
    • 12x USB 2.0 Ports
    • 2x SATA III Ports
    • 4x SATA II Ports
    • Gigabit LAN
    • High Definition 8 Channel Audio CODEC
    • Expasion slots: 2x PCIe 2.0 x16 Slots (dual x16/x4), 3x PCIe x1 Slots & 2x PCI Slots
    Last edited by MrHoppy; 06-11-13, 13:45.

Not staff but I'll try and help...

Strange one indeed! It almost sounds like the DVD is corrupt as it's clearly booting from DVD but not getting as far as the installer.

If you have access to another PC, you could try making a bootable USB stick and then attempting to install from that.
    Instructions here : http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Boot...ista-USB-Drive
    You'll need a 4GB+ usb drive, and either access to your Win7 DVD or a legitimate ISO. You should be able to use a different ISO than your DVD so long as you use your license key that shipped with your PC/DVD.

Also, during bootup keep hammering F11 (I think, your bios may differ) to access the "boot from other device" menu, to ensure it's definitely booting from DVD/USB.
    You could even disconnect all hard drives to ensure the dvd/usb gets as far as the installer.
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

I'd considered a corrupt install DVD so I tried using a Windows 7 ultimate and a windows XP install disk, same problem.

The thing is it wont usually boot from DVD, to run the windows installer from the DVD I had to use safemode (by pressing f8 when it asked to press a key to boot from cd) and it copied and expanded the files across just fine but when it restarts the pc to do the next phase it just keeps restarting. When I tried to use Kaspersky rescue disk 10, the green menu screen loads up but as soon as I select an option to begin it just restarts same as Win7.

The ONLY thing I have been able to run normally is Hirens Boot CD, and it will run mini XP from the disk.
      Everything else either has to run in safe mode (like the win7 install dvd) or doesn't work at all (like Kaspersky).

It's maddening.
      I'll give your suggestion a try though, thanks man

Comment

Could it be a P67 non-B3 board and the SATA ports are knackered?

Comment

Not much help but MR HOPPY
          i5 2500K, Asus P8Z68-v/Gen3, Onboard gpu ,16gb Geil Black dragon, 250gb Samsung 850, 4.5tb storage, Asus Xonar D2 , Fractal R3, Dell U2312HM

Comment

Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
            Could it be a P67 non-B3 board and the SATA ports are knackered?
            That's a thought!!
            Check the revision on the mobo itself, should be printed somewhere.

Not booting from DVD sounds very odd indeed, if you can try the USB method, it's worth a bash
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

"Could it be a P67 non-B3 board and the SATA ports are knackered?"

It was bought at the same time as the design flaw for sandy-bridge was revealed, but we knew about that and sent it back to get the board replaced.
              We also have the motherboard box for a P67A-UD3-B3 which was sent with the PC along with all the bits.

I'm in the process of making a bootable USB as suggested above, and I suppose that will reveal faulty SATA ports (although as I said, I sent it back and Gigabyte claimed the board was fine).

nft99
              "Hullo I'm Ivan Dobsky the meat safe murderer, only I never done it, I only said I done it so the police men would take the rat out of me ****." it was a brilliant series

Comment

Originally posted by MrHoppy View Post
                "Hullo I'm Ivan Dobsky the meat safe murderer, only I never done it, I only said I done it so the police men would take the rat out of me ****." it was a brilliant series
                It truly was
                Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

jointhedotz: Nice avatar...I remember Myth very well, an Amiga classic. (God, there are some cool people here)

Comment

Originally posted by MrHoppy View Post
                    jointhedotz: Nice avatar...I remember Myth very well, an Amiga classic. (God, there are some cool people here)
                    Finally.....someone recognised it! lol

Never been called 'cool' either so cheers
                    Originally posted by {SAS}TB
                    Also gives me the chance to probe around the wife's rear end

Comment

OK, just tried the boot from USB idea...same problem.
                      I got a bit enthusiastic as I saw the language selection screen, and then it restarted as usual.

I've got that far before where I can see it for a split second before it restarts.

I think we can rule out knackered SATA ports.
                      Could it be a BIOS settings issue? I've loaded optimised and fail-safe defaults but neither make any difference.
                      Could there be something I have missed in the BIOS? as I mentioned I had a vague memory of a restart problem before and it being a BIOS issue.

I never really tinker in the BIOS when I have problems, so tend to leave timing/voltage settings alone.

Comment

Read what you have done....the only thing it could possibly be is the board.....

As Sherlock would say..... when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
                        posted by scrivz69
                        I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                        i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Read what you have done....the only thing it could possibly be is the board.....

As Sherlock would say..... when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
                          I agree, but what can I do?
                          I've sent the board back to Aria, they sent it to Gigabyte, and they sent the board back saying there were no problems with it.

I personally think it's board related, but I've not ruled out the possibility that the board hardware works and its a BIOS/settings issue. Regardless though, I can't prove anything to Aria or Gigabyte, I sent the board and they deny responsibility.

Utterly stumped, I can't afford to just buy another board on the off chance, I don't have a spare I can test it with, and going through proper channels for repair/replacement hasn't done any good either.

A PC should last longer than a couple of years, I was hoping to get some help with it (I want it working again) but it's looking increasingly like I'm going to have to take it to PC world, and when they find the problem is motherboard related, I'll go to the small claims court.

Comment

Do you not have an independent PC retailer. You could take it too? Probably cost less than PC hurled.... And do a better job and not try to sell you norton!.... Plus they would be able to certify it ,if it was kaput
                            posted by scrivz69
                            I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                            i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

had a problem with an i7 and an asus 1155 mobo at weekend. Wouldn't let us install Win 7 Ultimate. Thought ssd was problem but wasn't. Thought cd was problem but wasn't. After about 4 hours of having problems like you said with restarts but no safe mode, and after disconnecting everything, we managed to get a build on! Superb! Until we tried to install updates kept complaining about Windows update catalogue corruption. After about another two hours, various dvd drives hdd and ssd's usb sticks, we decided to swap out the sata cable. Worked perfect first time!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X