No announcement yet.

Video editing build with Gladiator Intel i7-3930K 4.60GHz Overclocked bundle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video editing build with Gladiator Intel i7-3930K 4.60GHz Overclocked bundle

Edit: I've updated the build list.

This is basically a copy of a post I've made on the Adobe forums, but seeing as the majority of the parts are coming from Aria, I'd thought I'd also post on here (hopefully in a suitable place)

With the bundle would it be possible to swap the air cooler for a Corsair H100, obviously paying the difference? Unless RawZ is feeling generous :-)

I've been asked by a friend to design and build a new video editing system (he'll be using Adobe CS 5.5 or 6) system, I've built plenty of systems over the years but never for video editing and animation, so over the last few days I have read up and came up with the following, hopefully it's a well balanced system with not too many compromises. It's a lot of money and I'd like to be confident I've got it pretty much right.

Updated build:

PC Case Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Case £77.28
    Case Fan 2 x Akasa Apache Ultra Silent Fan HDB Bearing PWM fan w/4 pin connector & Rubber Pins £18.52
    Case Fan Controller Intergrated on motherboard
    Power Supply 750W Corsair AX Series 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply £129.30
    Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel X79 Chipset
    Processor 6 core Intel i7-3930K 4.5GHz Pre-Built Overclocked Gaming Bundle (Sandy Bridge-E)
    Heatsink & CPU Fan Corsair H100 Watercooling 2 x 120mm Fan
    Memory 16GB Total (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP, DDR3, 1600MHz
    Motherboard, CPU, cooler and memory bundle £887.72
    Graphics Card Asus GeForce GTX 670 915MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI £323.98
    Primary Hard Drive Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB - Solid State Drive - CT128M4SSD2 £85.34
    Secondary Hard Drive Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black WD2002FAEX Hard Drive £147.84
    Raid 0 with above
    Main Optical Drive Pioneer Labelflash DVD RW DVR-219LBK £16.26
    Memory Card Reader 3.5" Akasa AK-ICR-16 Card Reader with eSATA and Multiple USB2.0/USB3.0 Port Panel £19.39
    Wireless Network Adapter Edimax EW-7612PIn 300Mbps Wireless 802.11 b/g/n PCI Express Adapter £16.87
    Fire Wire Dynamode 4 Port (3x External + 1x Internal) 1394a Firewire 400 PCI Controller £5.15
    Sound Card Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio
    Operating System Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM Operating System, SP1 £106.44
    Parts Total £1,834.09</

I think I have compromised on the hard drives, they are Caviar Green, which spin at 5900rpm, but still have a 110M/Bs transfer rate, so I would have thought that would be fast enough in raid 0 (he has a 3TB drive for backing up). Hard drive prices are crazy at the moment, what seems not too long ago I paid £56 for 2TB, now most are around £100 plus, and 7200RPM 1TB drives are not much less (some are more) than what we're paying for these 2TB ones.

Hopefully the GPU & CPU are well balanced, this I think is what I'm most concerned about (getting the GPU right), I'm aware we'll need to hack the TXT file, but I'll use the app from here.

The build budget is maximum £1850

Any thoughts, suggestions, major holes in the build?

If making suggestions please bare in mind I can't go over £1850.

Edit: Just thought of another question, with the over clock bundles do you try and get the voltage as low as possible or just use a known voltage for achieving that over clock?
    Last edited by Ronski; 02-06-12, 12:18. Reason: Updated build list

I'd suggest as a vidoe editing machine that you make a few changes:

Swap the GPU for a Quadro,
    Stick with an air cooler, Be Quiet! or Noctua are the best for silence,
    Fractal cases are probably the best for these builds, the XL being a favourite,
    Do not run an overclock, this is more risk than it is worth.

If you want a custom build then give our sales a call and they can walk you through prices.
    GL HF

Currently Playing
    GTA V | Smash 4 | Dark Souls 2 | MTG

Comment

Quadro are massively expensive though for the output, Geforce is the better buy, go look at some benchmarks, GTX570 is best bang for buck atm, as the gtx6 series aren't fully supported yet.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Might also be worth looking into a decent soundcard? My onboard is pretty dire...
        Play3r | News, Reviews & Competitions

Comment

Sorry Aria, last minute change of plan.

I found another supplier with what I think a slightly better bundle for around the same price, so all parts are coming from there (except the GPU). The bundle also includes the H100 which makes it far simpler for ordering, as it will be my friend ordering the parts it's better to keep it simple.

I'll post some pictures when it's built, just to complete the thread if people would like that.

Comment

Post it in the 'Show us yours' board.
            Play3r | News, Reviews & Competitions

Comment

Working...
            X