Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received my new PC - A little advice required

Hi all,
    I received my newly built Aria PC and I just have a few questions. But first here are some pictures on my new toy

Here is my original wishlist.
    https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/ISup7I9HF8e71bbz9dzKrQ,,

It came late on in the day so I haven't had much of a play yet.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger view, then click on the magnifying glass to zoom to full size. I know the pictures aren't the best but a Galaxy S2 is all I had to hand, sorry.

Here is the box it came in, it was very well packaged.

Oh, noes it's empty

Standing proud

All the extra boxes came in this

It's nekkid

Nice cable management

And now onto some of the issues I'm having. They might not be issues at all I just thought I would ask.

I ran ATTO to check the speed of my drive, I was expecting to see more like 400 MB /s but it looks more like 275 ish. Could it be connected to the SATA3 or something?

I don't really know much about overclocking but I thought I would run a blend on Prime to see what the temps were. They seem a bit high to me? What do you think, this image was taken after only a few minutes, it got up to temperature within seconds TBH. It hasn't blue screened or anything but I haven't played any games yet either.

The temps were jumping around quite a bit too. Maybe I should lower the overclock from 4.6 to 4.4 or something?

Thanks for reading
    James
    Last edited by Richo; 19-08-11, 22:33.

I'm not much a of a whizz on HDDs but that temperature does seem rather high especially after only a small amount of time running Prime.

Silly question but does the CPU cooler look like it is seated correctly? Could have got knocked in transit and come away from the CPU slightly - which would cause high temperatures.
    Core i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz | Powercolor 7870 Tahiti LE @ 1175 Mhz | MSI P67A-G45 (B3) | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | OCZ Agility 3 60Gb | 1Tb Samsung F3 | Antec TruePower 650W | Antec 902 | Dell ST2410-1 @ 1080p

Comment

Originally posted by NickAllen View Post
      I'm not much a of a whizz on HDDs but that temperature does seem rather high especially after only a small amount of time running Prime.

Silly question but does the CPU cooler look like it is seated correctly? Could have got knocked in transit and come away from the CPU slightly - which would cause high temperatures.
      It looks like it's seated correctly. I would need to buy some TIM clean and TIM if I was to reseat it. Also I would need Arias consent for warranty reason I think.

I have dropped it to a 4.5 overclock and it hovers around 80 degrees C with that. Maybe I should go 4.4.

Comment

Those temperatures are too high for that clock in my opinion.
        For the SSD. How do Crucial rate their speeds? Use Crystal Disk Mark benchmark.

Comment

In my honest opinion those temperatures are fine. It's not unstable - It's been stress tested by ourselves and whilst you are using the computer and playing games it won't reach anywhere near that temperature so I wouldn't worry
          Gaming PC:i5 2500k|MSI Mpower Z77 | Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB 1600MHZ | ThermalTake Frio | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III 2GB Crossfire | Samsung 840 PRO 250GB SSD | XFX Pro 850W Modular PSU | Corsair 600t Case

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Those temperatures are too high for that clock in my opinion.
            For the SSD. How do Crucial rate their speeds? Use Crystal Disk Mark benchmark.
            Thanks Martin,
            I have ran Crystal Mark and the speed still look slow. Isn't there something you need to enable in the BIOS with SSDs. Maybe Aria didn't do that?

Comment

Download Intel rapid storage driver 10.6 and install.

Comment

That definitely (to me) looks like it's hitting the SATA2 bandwidth limit... follow the SATA cable from the SSD to the motherboard and check it's in one of the SATA3 ports (presumably the red ports) and retest.
                Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
                Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

probably not plugged in to sata 3? that would be why its not getting sata 3 rates mate.. Looks like it is the red ones on that board.

Also make sure sata 3 is enabled in the bios, it seems on gigabyte boards its defaulted to disabled, so wondering about the asus.
                  Last edited by gmunday; 20-08-11, 13:30.

RIG 1: Core i7 930 @ 4.58ghz, 6GB OCZ Spec Ops, 64GB Kingston V+100 SDD, 1TB Barracuda, 5850,Win7 ULT x64
                  RIG 2: Phenom II X6 3.50Ghz, 8GB Patriot, 40GB Mushkin SSD, 2TB Barracuda, 2x5770 XFIRE, Win7 ULT x64

Comment

Look at the transfer mode. It's in Sata 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      Download Intel rapid storage driver 10.6 and install.
                      Thanks Martin, what will this do? Is it that rapid response thingy Z68 has? On this page it says something about RAID?
                      http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...?DwnldID=20181

Originally posted by NickCPC View Post
                      That definitely (to me) looks like it's hitting the SATA2 bandwidth limit... follow the SATA cable from the SSD to the motherboard and check it's in one of the SATA3 ports (presumably the red ports) and retest.
                      I'll have a look later today or tomorrow as I have to go out soon. Thanks for the tip though. I'll check the motherboard manual to find which are the intel SATA 600.

I have found another bench mark tool. This is AS SSD and the speed are low on this too.

Then I had a look on this review of the 64 GB version.
                      http://www.overclock.net/ssd/1045506...gb-review.html
                      And the AS SSD they have uploaded says nothing after the drive name, where as mine says ATA device. Could mine not be running in SATA AHCI maybe?

Here is the overclock.net benchmark
                      Last edited by Richo; 20-08-11, 13:54.

Comment

Not running in AHCI wouldn't knock off that much read speed. For reference too, my 64GB M4 hits around 420MB/s read, and I'm convinced it's simply just not plugged into a SATA3 6Gbps port.

EDIT - yeah, just checked the manual... 2-2 (page 34), the two red SATA ports closest to the top of the board are SATA3 6Gbps and the four black ports are SATA2 3Gbps, just make sure the M4 is plugged in one of the red ones.

PS Nice photos, looks awesome
                        Last edited by NickCPC; 20-08-11, 14:06.
                        Gaming :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, Gigabyte GTX1070, 16GB Crucial 2400MHz DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, G900, G510s, 10 Pro x64
                        Work :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD FirePro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by NickCPC View Post
                          Not running in AHCI wouldn't knock off that much read speed. For reference too, my 64GB M4 hits around 420MB/s read, and I'm convinced it's simply just not plugged into a SATA3 6Gbps port.

EDIT - yeah, just checked the manual... 2-2 (page 34), the two red SATA ports closest to the top of the board are SATA3 6Gbps and the four black ports are SATA2 3Gbps, just make sure the M4 is plugged in one of the red ones.

PS Nice photos, looks awesome

Thanks Nick. I wasn't sure which case to go for but I am very happy with the Fractal Arc. It's.....so......chunky It runs quieter than my old Antec 900 too, which is nice.

I read on another forum that Fractal design are looking to bring a windowed side panel too which would be great.

I'll check the cables tomorrow. I will likely drop the multiplier down to 44 as well. It's not like I am benching so 4.4 should be plenty for me. I came from an E8400 @ stock so even a 2500K at stock is a huge increase. I could always bump it up to 46 again in the winter.

Comment

Sorry a bit off topic, but how did you get all the boxes?

I asked for this when I ordered my custom pc but only received my motherboard box which leaves me screwed if I need to RMA anything

Comment

Originally posted by Simon1987 View Post
                              Not really. Just rma it back to aria.

I was going to say wow I am surprised they sent you a box of empty boxes.
                              @Breakage, don't do this.

I'm not sure much can unfortunately be done, but give customer services a call on Monday and see if they can offer any solutions.

Comment

Working...
                              X