Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the film Wargames

Matthew Broderick playing "David Lightman"

He used a IMSAI 8080, which had less cpu horsepower than a Furby.

Why was it cool?? maybe I am the only person here old enough to remember, but the film proved very prophetic. Not long after it's release the US "lost" a multi million $ spy satellite.
    When they "found" it, it was many miles off course and being used by 2 teenage kids for free phone calls from Europe (where the one lived), to the US (where the other lived).
    And they did it all with a cheap and nasty Tandy TRS computer with a measly few kB of RAM.
    Married!!! despite every complaint they made about my paperwork, they finally gave in and issued our Red Books. (UK Consulate )

Comment

1. Where would you find the WOPR? In NORAD (Cheyenne Mountain)
      2. Who hacked into it and with what computer? David Lightman (Played by Mathew Broderick in the movie)
      3. The tie breaker.. Why was this film cool? WarGames was cool because I was a kid at the time

Comment

1. WOPR is located in NORAD (Cheyenne Mountain)
        2. Mathew Broderick who played David Lightman in the movie WarGames used a IMSAI computer to hack into it
        3. This film showed a generation of kids that computers were cool.
        Even today the USA still can't stop someone hacking into their top security systems.
        It shows that no matter how sophisticated the software is, there is always a loophole in the program.
        I would just like to make it clear that I am NOT, NOR have I ever been a hacker

Comment

I consider this movie quite win so for extra credit I have included images to go with my answers, in 720p no less!

Originally posted by Aria View Post
          1. Where would you find the WOPR?
          The WOPR was the War Operation Plan Response Computer and was found in NORAD.

2. Who hacked into it and with what computer?
          A teenager called David hacked into the WOPR using the password "Joshua" on a computer called the IMSAI 8080.

3. The tie breaker.. Why was this film cool?
          For a start it had a giant computer built by NORAD themselves, yet it managed to fool all of them into thinking that there really was a Global Thermonuclear War. Not to mention it made "hacking" as a concept a lot more mainstream and opened the way for other cult classics like "Hackers" itself.

Corsair 550D | i5-3570k | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Corsair H60 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 256gb Samsung 830 | EVGA GTX 780 ACX Edition

Comment

N.O.R.A.D the super computer
            David Lightman with his amazing IMSAI 8080
            its cool because every child is now scared to play any form of online game as they might just end the world.
            Thermaltake Element s - Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.48V - Corsair H50 - 6GB RAM - GTX260 192Core @ 729/1458/1224 - ATI 3450 - Biostar Tpower I45 - Corsair Force 60GB SSD - Samsung f3 500GB apps - Xigmatek 700W NRP-PC702 - 3x 17inch screens - windows 7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by clemos View Post
              1) NORAD.
              2) Mathew Broderick (David Lightman) with an IMSIA Micro computer.
              3) It was cool because it inspired people to gethacking! testing the security of networks.

I type 90 WPM, Click Here to try
              i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | R9 290| 16GB Ram @ 1600mhz
              Nikon D5100 + Kit Lens + 50mm 1.8G - 16-35mm F4 VR // Ultrasone PRO 2900s - Audio GD NFB-3.1 - Neco Mosfett Amp

Comment

10pm deadline is well past marking competiton closed
                I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Some splendid answers! Well done to all!

Noteworthy are:

Clunk for amusement
                  zaz for the philosophical slant
                  wuyanxu for championing the geek
                  Ezyryder for getting a computer out of it - nice blag!
                  InvaderGIR is a very close second..

Peter wins for the effort and the coolness of answers

Comment

Well done Peter

Comment

Congrats.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Fair play, congrats Peter! Good work
                        New! ASUS P8Z-68 V-Pro, i5-2500k, Mushkin 120gb SSD, Samsung 1tb HDD, GTX 460 1gb, 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (4x4), Asus Xonar DG, Corsair H50, Win 7 Home 64.

Ladies! If a man says he'll fix something - he will. He doesn't need reminding about it every six months, OK?

Comment

Congrats Peter though.
                          fd photography | XBL: FinalD | DA

Comment

Originally posted by InvaderGIR View Post

Congrats Peter though.
                            You were a worthy adversary!

Cheers guys.
                            Corsair 550D | i5-3570k | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Corsair H60 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 256gb Samsung 830 | EVGA GTX 780 ACX Edition

Comment

Working...
                            X