Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***CLOSED*** Monday Afternoon Competition * Winner David84 *

Bit of general knowledge now...

Why does touching your car alarm fob to your chin extend its range?

Prize is one of these:
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=38589

Answers in by 10pm!

your brain wave accelerates it?
    That better skywalker?

Comment

You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor

Comment

you can extend the distance your alarm will activate by holding the key fob under your chin making contact with your skin. Your body is a natural antenna and will help extend the length you can transmit the signal. Try it and see from a farther range with and without contact to your chin.

Lol whatever.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Your brain works as an antenna/satalite or somethin.

Comment

“You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor. Not a great one, but it works.”
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Because you are raising it higher than you would normally so the RF (Radio Frequency) is less likely to meet obstructions.

Some people think its because your body acts as an antenna which is rubbish as RF doesn't work like that.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

“You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor. Not a great one, but it works.”

That's about right.
                CPU:Intel I7 3770K 5GHZ |CPU Cooler:Noctua NH D14|RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance White LP|MB:Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3|GPU:Asus GTX 980 Strix OC|PSU: Corsair AX 750|HDD:2x Corsair 240GB Force GS| 2X WD 2TB Red|Sound Card:Asus Xonar HDAV|Speakers:Sony STR-DN850+Yamaha Speakers+Tannoy TS2.10|Mouse/Keyboard:Corsair K95/M95|Case:Corsair 500R|

Comment

"You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor"

Essentially you're using the blood, saliva and all sorts in your head to be an aerial for the remote. Only adds an extra couple of car lengths onto the range though.

Bit pointless on most modern cars as the reception is normally a fairly large distance anyway combined with the speed a car unlocks it means unlocking from further away doesn't really gain anything for you...unless you have some dodgy system that only works a few meters from the car.

This will only work on radio wave fobs and not IR ones as you can't turn your eyes into IR emitters.
                  fd photography | XBL: FinalD | DA

Comment

Its the same with mobile phone signal though, i use my head to get signal!

Comment

Because it turns your head into a big fleshy/bone aerial. The waves are also diffracted off the shape of the skull rather like a satellite dish I believe
                      i5 760 @ 4.01GHz, 4GB DDR3, Sapphire 6870, Soundblaster X-Fi

Comment

I would hazard a guess that extraterrestrials randomly subjected human targets to signal generating amplification nodes that react in range of radio waves.

It would explain why this trick has never worked for me.

But i guess the real theory is the body acts as an antenna and amplifies the signal partially. Theory.
                        Running the London Marathon 2014 for MS-UK, need to raise £2000, please support my bid by texting LZAZ76 plus £ ?amount? to 70070 ! ... Or via https://www.justgiving.com/luke-zasikowski

Comment

Because your head will act like and aerial amplifying the signal

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron_H View Post
                            You are capacitively coupling the fob to your head. With all the fluids in your head it ends up being a nice conductor
                            Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                            Originally posted by Zaim View Post

That's about right.
                            So if i pick up dog and stick my key fob next to its head it'll work as well???

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Basically using your skull as signal magnification

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Working...
                              X