View Full Version : What should I do.
I am planning to upgrade and build myself a core 2 duo pc. My kids pc is down at the moment which I could fix, but when I upgrade they will get my old AMD pc. I don't know whether to spend money to put a new processor in their pc, I lost the original processor when trouble shooting with a another processor. Buy a amd x2 processor to put in my socket 939 pc so when I do upgrade my kids will have a better pc. Or just wait until I upgrade and give them this pc. I don't want to waste money if i can advoid it fixing the kids pc. I am going to spend £700 on my upgrade.
1st of mate post specs of the pc you have already.
Then specs of your kids pc.
Then specs of the pc you want.
Then we can see what we can do. Dont worry ill make sure you have a OCZ sticker :P
My kids pc is a old socket A and my pc at the mo is socket 939 xp3000.
I will be building a conroe rig, e6600, ati crossfire 1gb of pc 6400 or pc 8000. I have all the drives I need, not sure which mobo I will choose, probably the best for o/clocking, another thermatake case with 120mm fans. The socket 939 pc will go to the kids to use. Going to use the same h/drives unless I go raid. Kids have got a fairly new new 160GB HD and I have a rapter 74GB.
I am waiting to upgrade nearer nov/dec time when the conroe chips should take a healthy drop in price as supply becomes plentiful.
Until I build a new rig didn't know whether to by a chip socker a chip to put in the kids pc for now. Get amd x2 3800 or 4200 in my 939 rig until I upgrade so the kids will get a better pc when it is there's.
I already have my new OCZ gamexstream psu for the new rig 8)
Hmm.... Reall depends on a few things.
Can you survive on a 3000+ till November/December time?
An X2 processor would be excellent choice of a processor for your kids though, you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading that system for a while.
When i recently sold some Socket A stuff on Ebay i was suprised at some of the good prices you can actually get.
I would personally, go straight for Conroe, as it looks like your kids and you both want an upgrade.
Give them your Socket 939 setup, Build yourself a Conroe Rig, Sell thw Socket A setup on Ebay.
Nice one belso - well put
Socket A isnt really worth running anything on anymore -
I use mine as a 24/7 server- manages that \"Alright\" would of preferred an intel but beggars cant be choosers...
How old socket A though - if its very very old (like mine 2000+ / 2200+) you wont get nearly as much for it - obviously
Personally i would go for SLI - as according to valves survey 98% of the market is SLI... and i find the majority is normally correcct :) Especially with GX2s being about ;) and coming down in price soon surely ;)
Part upgrade done.
I have bought 4200X2, Mambo black case, Asus motherboard with built in graphics.
I will drop the 4200X2 into my mobo, my 3000+ processor will drop into asus board. I bought the asus mobo with graphics as a stop gap until I upgrade to dual core duo when my kids will get my grahics card mobo and the 4200X2.
Now I can wait until core 2 duo's have a nice price drop in a few months time. I am also waiting for the directx 10 graphic cards to come out. The way I looked at if I am going spend anything between £200 to £300 on a graphics I might as well wait for the directx 10 cards to come out seeing they are just around the corner.
I couldn't buy from aria because they didn't have stock for 2 items
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.